Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Rusted wheel

I've had a great couple of days with my sweet cousins Isabel and Marcus.  Such lovely, smart, loving kids.  It's sad to leave but I shall see them again in a couple of weeks.

Well I left Adams early Saturday morning.  Took the train up to Stockholm, a 4hr ride that I read, napped and listened to music on. Arcade Fire, Silversun Pickups and Bon Iver created the perfect soundtrack for my journey.  I find the rides so peaceful. I smile, content with the fact I'm on to the next leg of my journey.

As I sit here and the song Rusted Wheel comes on by Silversun Pickups. It reminds me of how I felt at home on the Gold Coast... Rusted wheel planted still, rusted wheel can't move on. And it feels just like the ground. Trapped in another way just still, in the ground.

My hostel was located at Zinkensdam. It was a little difficult to find, and searching for a hostel with 12kgs on your back sux majorly but after some helpful strangers I made it fine.  The room was tiny, cosy I guess.  Just me and two other women. One I nicknamed Snuffleuffagus due to her terrible snoring.  The other was Eve, a lovely, smart, friendly Brit.
After walking the very trendy area on my own for a while I went back to the room and Eve invited me to join her for dinner.  So we caught the Undergound to Slussen. Even trendier if you can believe it.  All the women with their naturally long, glossy, flowing hair. Vintage, just thrown together so effortlessly cool wardrobes. The men: preppies, goths, hipsters, pretty boys, all just so handsome and well dressed.  The Swedes know how to put more than just furniture together that's for sure.

One thing I noticed is how composed the Swedes are.  Me laughing out loud during conversation often shocked people around me. Like I should be put into a glass cabinet and studied. Loud obnoxious Australian girl!
We had a beer at Snaps, an outdoor lounge bar.  Then ate out at a Chinese restaurant, Ming Garden. Very nice but the little Chinese waiter took it upon himself to take our change as a tip.  After dinner we made our way back to the hostel where we had a wine, more great.conversation and laughs.

I haven't seen nearly enough of Stockholm yet as it was merely a stop over as I'm flying out of here to Austria.  I shall return one day to explore more of this lovely, cool city.


I didn't take any pictures in Stockholm but here are a few more of my stay at Adams. 
Adam in his soccer coaching outfit.... the baltic sea and our swedish meatballs!




No comments:

Post a Comment